WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
The slightly chewy texture of ruddy-red Wehani rice makes it perfect for salads. Serve it mounded on a bed of Boston lettuce or curly frisée.
- 1 cup Wehani brown rice or brown basmati rice
- 2-2 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds or 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 medium bell pepper, green, yellow, orange or red, chopped, (about 1 cup)
- 8 scallions, trimmed and sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Step 1
- Combine rice and water (2 cups water if using brown basmati) in a 3-quart saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until all the water has been absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from heat; let rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Spread the rice out on a large baking sheet until cooled to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Step 2
- Meanwhile, toast cumin in a small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant and lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes for seeds, 1 minute for ground cumin. Transfer to a blender or food processor and let cool for several minutes. Add oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper and process until the garlic is finely chopped.
- Step 3
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl and toss with beans, scallions and bell pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com