dried chickpeas/garbanzos, soaked in water overnight
sweet potatoes, peeled (about 3 pounds)
finely chopped yellow onion
fresh grated ginger
lime, zest and juice
fresh thyme leaves, removed
fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add the soaked beans. Gently boil for about 50 minutes until the beans are cooked through. Drain.
- In the meantime, prepare the peeled potatoes. Cut off the ends and chop them into one inch cubes. Try to make them equal in size, shapes can vary. Put them in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lime zest and juice, melted butter, oil, garlic, salt, honey, cinnamon, and nutmeg together. Pour the mix over the big bowl of potatoes, stir. Add the drained chickpeas, onions, 2 tablespoons of the fresh thyme and gently fold to cover everything in the spice mixture.
- Spread the goods evenly onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 425°F in the upper third of the oven for 35-40 minutes, gently stirring halfway through for consistent browning.
- Let cool a bit before serving, sprinkle fresh pepper, squeeze of lime, taste for salt and sprinkle remaining thyme on top.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to