This is a nice side dish or brunch dish. It's loaded with vegetables, too! I made the salt optional but it really does need a little if you use low-sodium chicken broth powder.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups grated or diced carrots
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 2 10-ounce boxes spinach, frozen chopped, thawed and gently squeezed to eliminate excess water
- 1/2 cup Matzo Meal, use unsalted if someone is on a low-sodium diet
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon salt add more to taste, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium chicken broth powder
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9x9-inch or 8x8-inch baking pan with canola cooking spray.
- Step 2
- Coat a large nonstick frying pan with canola cooking spray. Add the onions and mushrooms, cover pan, and let cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Step 3
- Add the mushroom mixture to a large bowl along with all remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly (a wooden spoon or your hands work best). Spread into the prepared pan and bake until firm and lightly browned on the bottom (45-60 minutes).
You can easily double this recipe to serve more than nine people. Just use a 9x13-inch baking pan.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.