Spring Vegetable Recipes continued...
2 tablespoons very hot tap water
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.5 pounds)
3 cups green beans or asparagus (trim about 3 inches off spears), rinsed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper and hot water with whisk. Add chicken thighs to the bowl and move them around to coat well.
- Spread chicken with sweet soy glaze to prepared baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle the vegetables on top and baste the chicken and vegetables with the glaze from the edges of the pan. Bake 20 more minutes or until vegetables are just tender and chicken is cooked throughout.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 serving lean meat with 1 teaspoon fat maximum + 1 cup vegetables without added fat
Nutritional Information per serving: 287 calories, 23 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 74 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g fiber, 640 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%.
Quick Broiled Asparagus
I love grilled asparagus. This is a great recipe for when you want the look and taste of grilled asparagus but only have time to fire up your broiler.
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
1 bunch long asparagus spears (about 16 spears about 8 inches long), trim the white ends off, rinsed and dried well
1 1/2 teaspoons flavored extra-virgin olive oil (lemon or orange or garlic flavors work well)
Salt and freshly ground pepper as desired (optional)
- Start preheating oven broiler. Cover a cookie sheet with foil. Coat with olive oil or canola cooking spray. Spread asparagus spears across the prepared pan.
- Using a silicon brush, lightly coat tops of asparagus spears with olive oil. Turn spears over and lightly coat other side with remaining olive oil.
- Broil about 4 minutes, watching carefully. Turn asparagus spears over using a fork or prongs. Broil other side until desired doneness (about 3 minutes more), watching carefully. Add salt and pepper, if desired. Serve.