- 1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine, keep in freezer
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half plus 1 to 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups sliced strawberries
- 10 dollops of light whipped cream
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In large food processor bowl, thoroughly combine flours, salt, baking powder, cream of tartar, and sugar.
- Step 2
- Add margarine in pieces and briefly pulse just until mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- Step 3
- Add the fat free half-and-half and briefly pulse just until blended (do not overmix).
- Step 4
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 4 or so times.
- Step 5
- Pat dough until about 1/3- to 1/2-inch thick. Using a 2 1/2- to 3-inch round cutter, cut out biscuits and place them on a baking sheet coated with canola cooking spray.
- Step 6
- Bake until nicely brown, about 12-14 minutes. Let cool.
- Step 7
- Meanwhile, add 2 cups sliced strawberries, brown sugar, and vanilla to food processor and pulse until a strawberry puree is created (about 5 seconds).
- Step 8
- Split a biscuit in half and place both halves, cut side up, on a dessert plate. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of the strawberry puree mixture over the top of each half. Top both halves with a total of 1/2 cup of strawberry slices and a dollop of light whipping cream.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.