Healthy Summer Slow Cooker Recipes continued...
Lime Cilantro Chicken
This recipe works great for chicken that you use for quesadillas or nachos, or you can simply serve the chicken with cooked brown rice and vegetables. If you only have two hours, cut each chicken breast into about 4 pieces and cook on HIGH in slow cooker. The chicken should be cooked throughout in about two hours.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup nonalcoholic or light beer
1 teaspoon minced or chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, packed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Coat the chicken breasts with olive oil and place in the slow cooker.
- In small bowl, combine lime juice, beer, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture evenly over the chicken breasts.
- Cook chicken on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours. Slice or shred chicken as desired and use as filling for quesadillas or nachos.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 serving lean meat without added fat
Nutrition Information: Per serving: 163 calories, 25 g protein, 2 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat, 1.3 g saturated fat, 95 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 685 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33%.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
If you like pulled pork sandwiches, you'll love this recipe, which yields BBQ sauce-soaked pork that's ready when you step in the door after work.
2 pork tenderloins (about 1.5 pounds)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic seasoning blend like Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 large sweet or yellow onion, chopped
3/4 cup bottled barbecue sauce (your choice)
1/2 cup non-alcoholic amber beer or light beer
- Coat the inside of the slow cooker with canola cooking spray. Place the pork tenderloins in bottom of slow cooker and sprinkle garlic, salt and pepper evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle chopped onions over pork and top that with barbecue sauce and beer. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Shred pork with a fork and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Serve the pork filling on a whole grain bun or roll.