potato starch, not potato flour
canned sweet potato, or finely mashed cooked sweet potato
pure maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons
egg replacer, whisked with 2 tablespoons warm water, till frothy
nutmeg, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare a muffin pan (if the pan is non-stick, no need to do anything). You'll be using 9 of the cups.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk them together.
- Add in shortening, sweet potato, maple syrup, and egg-replacer whisked with warm water.
- Beat to combine. The dough will be smooth and sticky.
- Spoon the biscuit dough into nine muffin cups. Shape the tops with wet fingers, if you like (I left mine like drop biscuits, a little rough and bumpy).
- Bake in the center of a pre-heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or so- until firm and slightly golden. A wooden pick inserted into the center will emerge clean and the bottoms will be golden and firm. If in doubt, bake for another 3 minutes.
- Pop the biscuits out of the muffin pan.
- Indulge while they are still warm. Slather with maple butter, apricot jam, or whipped honey.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to