of fruity extra virgin olive oil
sweet onion, diced fine
of cinnamon or nutmeg or cardamom, to taste
fresh grated ginger root, to taste
sea salt, to taste
- Ready your slow cooker and turn it on high. Drizzle a touch of olive oil in the bottom of the crock. When the oil is warm stir in the onion and ginger, cover and heat till fragrant (you can skip this small step if you like, it's just something I like to do to infuse the oil and jump-start the flavors). Add the diced sweet potatoes. Cover with fresh water. Add a little salt, to taste. I sprinkle in a small amount of cinnamon and warm spices, too. Cover.
- Slow cook on high or low, according to your manufacturer's instructions for potato soup.
- When the potatoes are very tender, use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- If the soup is too thick, add more liquid to thin.
- Taste test and add more sea salt and pepper, to taste.
- This simple soup is so creamy I didn't think it needed any richness added -- but if you would prefer to make it a cream-style soup stir in a cup or so of coconut milk (or non-dairy milk) and taste test. Cover and gently heat through.
- This soup reheats well -- we had leftovers the next day -- delicious.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to