- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey, (around 6%-8% fat)
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread, finely chopped, (or 1 cup soft bread crumbs)
- 1 large egg, (or 1/4 cup egg substitute, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash or two freshly ground pepper
- 2 to 6 tablespoons nonalcoholic beer, chicken broth or water, (optional)
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- Step 1
- In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients, mixing well with a wooden spoon or your hands. Form into about 40 bite-size meatballs.
- Step 2
- Spray a nonstick frying pan with canola cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add the meatballs, cover the frying pan and brown them for about 5 minutes.
- Step 3
- Turn the meatballs over, adding the beer or other liquid if necessary to prevent sticking. Cover and brown about 5 minutes more, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Step 4
- Combine the chili sauce and jelly and pour over the meatballs. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes, stirring and basting the meatballs frequently until the sauce thickens nicely. Serve with toothpicks.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.