Food Safety: Tips for Grocery Shopping - Topic Overview
There are things you can do while shopping to help prevent
- Put raw meat, poultry, eggs, fish, and shellfish
in separate bags, and do not mix them with other food items.
- Do not
buy meat or poultry that has a tear in the package or is
- Pick up your refrigerated and frozen items at the end of
your shopping trip, so they are unrefrigerated for a shorter period of
- Drive directly home after finishing so you can store all foods
properly. If you have a long drive, consider getting an ice chest for
- Do not buy food past the "sell by" or "use by"
- Do not buy canned foods if the cans are dented, leaking,
bulging, or rusting.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
February 08, 2011
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2012 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Food Safety: Tips for Grocery Shopping Topics