Our 'Recipe Doctor' offers tips on how to use up the rest of that bird
I know I'm not alone when I say that one of the best parts about the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays actually comes the day after -- leftovers! What's your favorite: the leftover stuffing, the mashed potatoes, or a slice of pumpkin pie
In honor of the season, and the leftover turkey we all hope to have sitting in our refrigerator after the hordes of dinner guests have departed, I wanted to share a few of my favorite leftover turkey tips and recipes.
10 Light & Tasty Ways to Enjoy Leftover Turkey
10) Make a turkey salad sandwich by mixing a little light mayonnaise with just as much fat-free sour cream and stir in diced turkey along with some chopped celery, a pinch of Dijon mustard, and a sprinkle of toasted pecans or walnuts. Serve on whole-grain bread or a whole-grain roll.
JOURNAL AS: a "sandwich and burger lean meat" (2 ounces bread + 3 ounces meat), plus 2 teaspoons of light mayo can be journaled as 1 teaspoon of regular mayo.
(Check out my Turkey and Cranberry Sandwich recipe below.)
9) Add diced turkey to whatever soup, stew, or chowder you enjoy. You can even buy low-fat canned soup (like chicken noodle, minestrone, etc.) and stir some diced turkey into the saucepan when you are heating it up.
JOURNAL AS: 1 cup of "hearty stews, chili, starches soup."
8) Use shredded turkey in place of chicken in your favorite Mexican recipes, such as enchiladas, quesadillas, tamales, etc.
7) Add shredded turkey to your favorite pasta dish, such as light fettuccine Alfredo (see recipe below), lasagna, pesto and pasta, even chilled pasta salad.
6) Add shredded turkey to your favorite rice dish, such as a rice casserole, a saffron or savory rice dish, or even a cold rice salad.
5) Make an individual serving of stuffing casserole. Stir about 1/3 cup of shredded turkey meat (and 1/3 cup of some vegetables if desired) into a small microwave-safe bowl, along with about 1 cup of leftover stuffing. Top with a spoon of gravy or grated reduced-fat cheese, if desired. Cover and reheat mixture in the microwave about 2 minutes on HIGH.