10 Light & Tasty Ways to Enjoy Leftover Turkey continued...
JOURNAL AS: a "light frozen dinner, pasta, or rice dish with meat/fish with light sauce."
(Or try out my Irish Shepherd's Pie recipe below!)
4) Turkey chili will heat things up the day after Thanksgiving. Make your favorite light chili recipe but instead of adding in browned ground beef or beef chunks, stir in some diced or shredded turkey.
JOURNAL AS: 1 cup of "hearty stews, chili, starches soup."
3) Enjoy a light turkey Caesar salad the next day. Mix up a quick Caesar salad using Romaine lettuce, tomato wedges, and fat-free or low-fat Caesar salad croutons (available in most supermarkets). Top the salad with plenty of shredded turkey and drizzle bottled light Caesar salad dressing over the top. If you can't find light Caesar dressing in your market, make up your own by blending 1/2 cup of regular Caesar dressing with 1/2 cup of apple juice.
JOURNAL AS: "entrée salad with meat, fish or eggs with light salad dressing."
2) Don't wait until lunch to enjoy your leftover turkey. Add some shredded turkey to your breakfast omelet or frittata. Turkey goes well with the fixings we normally add to our omelets and frittatas -- green onions, avocado, vegetables, reduced-fat cheese, fat-free sour cream, etc.
JOURNAL AS: "Eggs with meat."
1) Transform leftover turkey into an elegant turkey divan by topping a turkey and broccoli casserole with melted reduced-fat cheese and a light crumb topping.
JOURNAL AS: "lean meat with sauce" plus "vegetables without added fat."
And Now a Few Thankfully Light Recipes
Turkey and Cranberry Sandwich
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 "sandwich and burger lean meat" plus 1 ounce "low-fat cheese."
I know you are all going to want to make turkey sandwiches the day after Thanksgiving. To give you yet another sandwich to enjoy, other than the standard turkey sandwich, here's a sandwich that uses the leftover cranberry sauce as well!
2 slices whole-grain bread or 1 whole-grain roll
1 to 2 tablespoons light cream cheese
1 to 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce
A couple of carved slices of turkey (about the size of the palm of your hand)
Lettuce, tomato, sliced onion, alfalfa sprouts (as desired)
- Spread the cream cheese over one of the slices of bread or roll. Spread cranberry sauce over the top of that.
- Add the slices of turkey and top with lettuce, tomato, sliced onion or alfalfa sprouts as desired. Enjoy!