Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Journal as: 1/4 cup "starchy foods and legumes with fat" + 1/2 cup "vegetables with 1 teaspoon fat maximum"
15-ounce can chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1 cucumber, unpeeled and finely chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, finely diced or cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, garlic, parsley, basil, and mozzarella to medium serving bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil, vinegar, and salt over the top, and toss all ingredients well to combine.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 1 hour to let flavors blend.
Yield: 6 side servings
Per serving: 153 calories, 9 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 2.5 g fiber, 197 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 38%.
Sausage & Saffron Rice
Journal as: 1 cup "hearty stew, chili, bean soup" + 1/4 cup "starchy foods and legumes without added fat" OR 1 "frozen dinner light, pasta or rice dish with meat or fish or vegetarian with light sauce"
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red chili, stemmed, seeded, and finely minced, or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup long grain brown rice
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1 pinch saffron threads (find these in jars in the spice section)
5-6 ounces vegetarian sausage of your choice, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 cup diced, vine-ripened tomato (or use drained chopped canned tomatoes)
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup chopped green onions (the white and part of the green)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium, nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chili or red pepper flakes, if desired, and sauté for exactly one minute. Stir in the brown rice and let brown in oil for a minute. Stir in the broth, saffron, sausage pieces, tomato, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer; cover saucepan and cook 35-40 minutes (rice should be tender).
- Let the rice mixture sit in covered saucepan for 10 minutes. Stir in green onions, and add salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving (using Whole Foods brand Vegetarian Sausage Links: 291 calories, 13.5 g protein, 43 g carbohydrate, 7.4 g fat, 0.7 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 620 mg sodium (depending on the sodium in the broth and sausage). Calories from fat: 23%.