- 1/2 cup no- or low-trans fat margarine with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar-substitute
- 1 large egg yolk or 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1/3 cup less-sugar preserves or lemon curd
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In large mixing bowl, beat the margarine with sugar and sugar-substitute on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Step 2
- Add egg yolk or egg substitute and vanilla and almond extracts; beat well.
- Step 3
- In a 4-cup measure, whisk the flours and salt together. Beat flour mixture into the margarine mixture gradually on low speed, just until combined.
- Step 4
- Put almonds in a small food processor and process until nicely ground. Beat into cookie dough mixture on low speed, just to combine.
- Step 5
- Use a cookie scoop (1/8 cup) to put dough on nonstick cookie sheet or jellyroll pan, about 2 inches apart (line with parchment paper if desired). Make a deep indentation in the center of each ball with your thumb.
- Step 6
- Bake for 8 minutes, then remove from oven. Fill center of each cookie with a slightly heaping 1-teaspoon measure of jam (if necessary, press down center of cookies again before filling with jam). Bake about 8 minutes more or until golden brown. Place cookies on wire rack to cool.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.