In this updated version of the tuna melt, we go light on the mayo and top it with fresh tomato slices and shredded sharp Cheddar, which allows us to use considerably less cheese while ensuring that there’s great cheese flavor in each gooey bite
- 12 ounces canned chunk light tuna, drained
- 1 medium shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Step 1
- Preheat broiler.
- Step 2
- Combine tuna, shallot, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, salt, hot sauce and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread 1/4 cup of the tuna mixture on each slice of toast; top with tomato slices and 2 tablespoons cheese. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com