- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion, finely chopped, about 1 large
- 1 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme can be used
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 4 cups green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can tomatoes, Italian-style stewed
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 2 cups carrots or baby carrots, diced , 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth, vegetable broth can be substituted
- 3 cups potato, diced, 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped fresh
- 3 cups zucchini, half-slices, cut zucchini in half, then cut into slices
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained; white kidney beans can be substituted
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, Shredded; about a tablespoon per serving
- Step 1
- Heat olive oil in large, nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, thyme, and garlic and saute about 3-5 minutes.
- Step 2
- Stir in the cabbage pieces, the canned, stewed tomato (including liquid), celery, and carrots and saute 8-10 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, potatoes, fresh basil, zucchini, and kidney beans and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover saucepan, and let simmer about an hour.
- Step 3
- Spoon into soup bowls and top each serving with a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.