fresh ginger, grated
mild gluten-free organic curry powder
cayenne pepper, more or less, to taste
sweet or red onion, peeled, diced
carrots, peeled and diced
cauliflower florets, chopped
Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
2 heaping cups
cabbage, thinly shredded
fresh spring water
organic veggie juice
1 14-ounce can
organic chick peas, drained
of sea salt, to taste
1 14-ounce can
coconut milk, stirred
gluten-free brown rice syrup
thin apple slices or shredded apple, for garnish
chopped fresh cilantro, if desired, for garnish
juice from 1 medium lime, or to taste
For a slow cooker:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker except the coconut milk, lime juice and brown rice syrup. Cover and cook on high according to your manufacturer's instructions for cooking vegetable soup.
- When the veggies are tender, add in the coconut milk and lime. Taste test. Add brown syrup to taste. Heat through 15 minutes.
For stove top:
- Heat the avocado oil over medium high heat in a medium size soup pot. Add the garlic, ginger, curry, turmeric and cayenne and briefly stir for to season the oil. Add the onion, carrots, cauliflower, apples, sweet potato and cabbage, and sauté until softened, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spring water and chick peas; season with a touch of sea salt, if desired. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, cover and simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, lime juice and brown rice syrup. Stir well. Taste for seasoning adjustments. Heat through gently; don't boil.
Options: If you desire a smooth soup, puree the soup with a hand held immersion blender (or puree, carefully, in small batches, tightly covered, in a blender or food processor) until smooth. Return the puree to the soup pot. Heat over low heat until serving. If you prefer more texture, puree only half the soup, or mash lightly with a potato masher until you have the consistency you desire.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to