1 rounded cup
raw organic almonds
coconut milk or pickle juice
of fresh lemon juice
of sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
of raw organic agave, to taste
fresh herbs (dill, parsley), minced
cashew cream or vegan mayo, as needed
- Soak your almonds. Plan ahead. Soak them overnight for best texture.
- Place the almonds in a glass or ceramic bowl and sprinkle them with a little sea salt. Pour in just enough fresh cold water to cover the almonds (some will float). Cover with a clean tea towel and allow them to soak overnight- at least eight to ten hours. Note- if it's very hot where you are, place them in the fridge to keep them cool and extend the soaking time to at least 12 hours. They should be soft when ready and you'll see tiny sprouts starting to bud at the tips.
- Dump the soaked almonds into a food processor bowl; cover and pulse until shredded. Add the liquids and pulse again.
- Add the cream or mayo, to your liking. Pulse again. You want it flaky.
- Taste test for texture. Add more liquid if it needs moisture to obtain the right consistency.
- Season to your liking with fresh minced herbs and a dab of raw agave.
- Use in sandwiches, roll-ups, lettuce cups. Serve as an appetizer spread for crackers.
- If you like the taste of raw red onion, add a teaspoon or two of minced Bermuda onion.
- If you like curry, add curry to the mixture. Add chopped golden raisins for a spicy-sweet Indian twist.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to