Savory Vegetable Gravy
Journal as: 1/3 cup cream-based soup OR 1/2 cup broth-based soup
1/4 pound (about 2 cups) fresh crimini mushroom slices
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons no-trans-fat margarine (with 8 grams fat per tablespoon)
1 cup strong low-sodium vegetable broth
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon parsley flakes)
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons Wondra quick-mixing flour
1 cup fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk (or substitute plain soymilk), divided
- In a medium, nonstick saucepan, brown mushroom slices and onion in margarine over medium-high heat (about 5 minutes). Add broth, parsley, celery salt, and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes.
- In a 4-cup measure, blend flour with 4 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half with small whisk until smooth. Whisk in the remaining half-and-half or milk, and pour into the vegetable mixture. Bring mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Continue to cook and stir just until thickened.
Yield: 2 cups of gravy
Herb Pinwheel Rolls
Journal as: 1 1/2 slices bread OR 1/2 piece small muffin or croissant
1 1/2 cups warm water from tap (110-115 degrees)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk or low-fat milk
2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 cups unbleached white flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 package (2 tablespoons) yeast (bread machine, rapid rise, or active dry)
1/2 cup no-trans-fat margarine with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon (or substitute soy butter)
2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning (or other desired herb blend)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Add the dough ingredients to a bread machine pan in the order recommended by manufacturer, making a well in center of flour at the end and pouring in the yeast. Set machine to DOUGH cycle (about 1 hour, 40 minutes) and press START.
- Meanwhile, make the pinwheel filling: Blend margarine with herbs, garlic, and Parmesan cheese (if desired); set aside. Coat two (nonstick) 9-inch round cake pans with canola cooking spray.
- When dough cycle is complete, divide dough in half. Form each half into a rectangle about 12 inches at the long end and 10 inches at the short end. Spread half of the margarine mixture evenly over the top of each rectangle. Roll up each rectangle from the 12-inch side to make a roll.
- Cut each roll into about 10 pinwheels each using a serrated knife. Place the rolls into the prepared pans and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour.
- About 30 minutes into the rolls' rising, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the rolls are nicely browned. Serve warm or cold.
Yield: 20 servings
Per serving: 128 calories, 3 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 0.7 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 113 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%