WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 150
A simple, rich stew of white beans. Serve with Mediterranean Tuna Panini.
- 1 pound dried white beans, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 quart water
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and mashed, or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Step 1
- Drain beans and cook them, covered, in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain.
- Step 2
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery and carrots for 3 to 5 minutes. Add water, the cooked beans, tomatoes, oregano, salt, cayenne and pepper. Simmer vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com