2 1/2 cups
whole wheat flour
buttermilk, preferably freshly cultured
unrefined sea salt
- Sift the whole grain flour before combining it with cold butter or in the basin of a stand mixer.
- Mix the fat and flour together until it resembles the texture of cornmeal, then stir in the freshly cultured buttermilk and combine together until the flour, fat and buttermilk form thick dough.
- Allow this dough to sit, covered, in a warm spot in your kitchen overnight, or at least 12 hours.
- After the dough has soaked for at least 12 hours, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the oven is preheated, knead baking soda and unrefined sea salt into the dough.
- Flour your hands and gently form the biscuits either by rolling them out and cutting them out with a biscuit cutter or roll drop them, straight from the mixing bowl onto a baking sheet or preheated baking stone.
- Bake the biscuits at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for about ten to fifteen minutes, or until they puff up and become a golden brown color.
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to