WebMD Public Information from the Department of Health and Human Services
Our Advice: Journal as 1 cup cream-based soup
1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli (or 10-ounce pkg. frozen
1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 cups nonfat milk
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash ground thyme
1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Place vegetables and broth in saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook until vegetables are tender (about 8 minutes).
- Mix milk, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and thyme; add to cooked vegetables.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until soup is lightly thickened and mixture just begins to boil.
- Remove from heat. Add cheese and stir until melted.
This is an official 5 A Day recipe.
Yield: 4 servings. (1 cup each)
Nutritional analysis per serving: calories 115, cholesterol 10 mg, sodium 255 mg, fat 3 g, calories from fat 24%.
THE BROCCOLI AND EVERYTHING SALAD
Our Advice: Journal as one portion side salad, mixed + 1/4 cup dried fruit
3 cups raw broccoli, chopped
1 cup seedless raisins
2 strips lean Canadian bacon
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
Vegetable dressing (recipe follows)
1/4 cup low-calorie mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vinegar
- In large bowl, combine chopped broccoli, raisins, cooked diced bacon, and raw chopped onions.
- Combine dressing ingredients and stir well.
- Add dressing to combined ingredients, and stir to coat evenly.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional analysis per serving: calories 268; fat 6 g, calories from fat 19%, cholesterol 10.2 g, fiber 3 g, sodium 303 mg.