VEGETARIAN BLACK BEAN TACOS WITH CHIPOTLE CHILE SALSA
Source: Frieda's, Inc./ Official 5 A Day recipe
Our advice: Journal as 3/4 cup starchy food or legumes with 1 teaspoon fat + 1 serving bread
Chipotle Chili Salsa:
1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red or sweet onion
2 tablespoons lime juice
3 dried Chipotle chilies, reconstituted, drained and minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
11 ounces (uncooked weight) black beans
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped zucchini or yellow summer squash
1/2 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
8 tortillas, warmed
Preparation for tacos:
- Place black beans in a medium saucepan with water and cover.
- Stir in remaining minced Chipotle chiles and garlic. Cook beans according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, stir together tomatoes, zucchini, and bell pepper.
- Arrange warm black beans, tomato mixture, lettuce, and cheese in separate serving bowls.
- For each serving, take one flour tortilla; sprinkle each with lettuce; Spoon on black beans, tomato zucchini mixture and cheese. Top with salsa and cilantro as desired.
Preparation for salsa:
- Combine tomatoes, half the Chipotle chiles, onion, cilantro, and lime juice in a medium bowl.
- Set aside to allow flavors to blend (cover and chill if preparing more than 30 minutes ahead).
Yield: 8 servings (1 taco each)
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 281, Fat 3.5 g, Calories from Fat 11%, Cholesterol 11 mg, Fiber 9 g, Sodium 152 mg, Protein 14.5 g.