Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Health Care Reform:

Health Insurance & Affordable Care Act

Health Insurance When You're Out of Work

If you lose your job, you may be worried about finding health insurance to replace the plan you had at work. Here are some ways to stay covered.


COBRA is the name of a law that lets you keep your health insurance when you lose your job. You can keep the insurance from your old job for as long as 18 months.

Using COBRA to keep your insurance can be expensive. It will cost you more than you were paying while you were working.

When you had insurance through your job, your company paid part of your premium. Now that you're out of work, you'll have to pay both your part of the premium and the part that your former employer paid.

Enroll in Your Partner's Insurance

Does your spouse or partner have health insurance at his or her job? You may be able to join that plan.

Your spouse or partner can ask for a "special enrollment." That way, you can join the plan without waiting for the annual open enrollment period. Open enrollment typically lasts for only a few weeks each fall.

If you make a request for special enrollment within 30 days of losing your old coverage, the policy will take effect on the first day of the next full month.

Also, if you have children who were covered under your old policy, they can be included in the special enrollment request.

However, you can't ask for special enrollment if you've decided to use COBRA.

Insurance Marketplace

If you are out of work you now have an option to buy health insurance in an insurance Marketplace, also called an Exchange. Marketplaces were set up in each state in the fall of 2013.

A Marketplace lets you shop online for a health plan. You can compare prices and benefits of different plans. You'll also be able to find out if you qualify for Medicaid, a government program for people with low incomes.

Preexisting Conditions

If you lose your job and then get new insurance, you won't have to worry that your children will be denied coverage because of "preexisting" conditions. A preexisting condition is a medical problem you or your child had before you tried to enroll in a new insurance plan.

Under the health reform law, children under age 19 can't be denied coverage because of a preexisting condition. Starting in 2014, adults can't be denied coverage for that reason either.

Coverage for Young Adults

If you lose your job and you're between ages 19 and 26, you have a special option. Under the health reform law you can join your parents' health plan if they have insurance through their jobs.

WebMD Medical Reference

Latest Health Reform News

Loading …
URAC: Accredited Health Web Site TRUSTe online privacy certification HONcode Seal AdChoices