Skip to content


A dentist cares for your teeth and mouth. Dentists use X-rays and other techniques to check the teeth for cavities and disease.

Dentists perform procedures, such as fillings and root canals, to treat damaged teeth. Dentists also can straighten teeth that are out of alignment.

Dentists who specialize in children's teeth are called pediatric dentists.

Eye Care

There are two types of health professionals you and our family will likely visit to care for your eyes:

  • Optometrist
  • Ophthalmologist

Optometrist. Most people see an optometrist when they need their vision checked. Optometrists are not medical doctors. They are doctors of optometry. They have a degree from a college of optometry.

Most optometrists concentrate on regular vision care. You can see them for services such as:

  • Eye exams and vision tests
  • Prescribe and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses
  • Diagnose and treat certain eye conditions

Ophthalmologist. An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor. If you have an eye disease, you can get it diagnosed and treated by an ophthalmologist.

He or she also does eye surgery. Some ophthalmologists will also prescribe and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses.


Obstetricians and gynecologists treat women for conditions that affect the reproductive system.

Obstetricians help women during pregnancy and delivery.

Gynecologists diagnose and treat diseases of the reproductive system, such as cancer and endometriosis. They also help women through menopause.

Some doctors practice both obstetrics and gynecology.


When you're sniffling and sneezing from seasonal allergies, an allergist can help.

Allergists are trained to prevent and treat all kinds of allergies, including:

  • Hay fever
  • Skin reactions such as eczema
  • Food allergies
  • Asthma