Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Health Care Reform:

Health Insurance & Affordable Care Act

Voter Guide: Medicaid

The Issue:

Medicaid, the government health care plan for people with low incomes or disabilities, provides insurance to nearly 51 million people.

The states and the federal government jointly fund Medicaid. It costs states on average about 16 cents per dollar to pay for Medicaid, and that number has been rapidly growing. Because the recession has reduced state budgets, many states have been forced to cut Medicaid benefits, such as dental care.


Expanding Medicaid Coverage

Medicaid is an important part of the health reform law’s primary goal, which is to make health insurance available to millions of Americans who do not have it.

Beginning in 2014, people with incomes as high as 138% of the federal poverty level -- $15,415 for individuals and $31,809 for a family of four in 2012 -- would be eligible for coverage. These income requirements now include millions of people who previously made too much money to qualify for Medicaid, but often, too little to afford private insurance. It also includes adults without dependent children to enroll, a group previously not eligible for Medicaid coverage in most states.

The law does not make insurance available to people who are in this country illegally.

Paying for Medicaid Expansion

Under health reform, the federal government pays for 100% of states’ costs to expand coverage between 2014 and 2016. After that, federal support scales back to 95% in 2017 and an additional 1% in the following years until it covers 90% of the cost by the year 2020. States pick up the remaining 10% cost at that point.

Supreme Court Changed the Rules

Initially, the health reform law made the expansion of Medicaid mandatory. States that failed to comply would have been at risk of losing all of their federal Medicaid matching funds.

The recent Supreme Court ruling on the law allows states to choose whether they wish to accept the federal funds to extend Medicaid. That means people living in states that choose to opt out of the program may not qualify for Medicaid coverage, even if they meet the eligibility guidelines under federal law.

Latest Health Reform News

Loading …
URAC: Accredited Health Web Site TRUSTe online privacy certification HONcode Seal AdChoices