5. Review Your Household Budget
Even if you qualify for disability income assistance, you're likely to get less than your salary. State and federal programs cap payments at 80% of pre-disability income level, for instance.
Serious sports injuries often require extensive medical care. So you may now be facing large medical bills. Take these steps:
- List all the bills you must pay each month.
- Estimate how much you need for food and other essentials.
- Then estimate how much money you will be taking in.
- If your income falls short of your costs, look for ways to trim expenses.