6 Yoga Poses That Age Well
2. Warrior II
Any standing pose helps to improve bone density, Matthews says, while also improving lower body strength. “Not only do you strengthen, you get a stretch through your hips, groin, and inner thighs.”
- Begin with your feet hip-distance apart and your arms straight at your side.
- Turn to the right, and step your right foot out wide about 3 to 4 feet while keeping your heels in line. Turn your right foot out to a 90-degree angle.
- Inhale and raise your arms straight to the sides to shoulder height.
- As you exhale, bend the right leg until your thigh is parallel with the floor. Your left leg should be straight.
- Hold pose for up to 30 seconds while concentrating on your breath.
Repeat pose with other leg.
3. Extended Puppy
A cross between two of the better-known yoga poses, downward dog and child’s pose, extended puppy pose offers the benefits of lengthening your spine without some of the discomfort some people find on their knees and hips in the other poses, Matthews says.
- Start on all fours in a tabletop position, with your knees under your hips, and wrists under your shoulders. Place a towel under your knees if necessary.
- Walk your hands in front until your chest is close to the ground while your hips remain over the knees.
- Keep your head down, and press your arms and hands into the ground.
- Breathe deeply for 20 to 30 seconds, and then return slowly to tabletop.
4. Low Lunge
This move offers the benefits of a lunge, but with the added stability of the back leg remaining in contact with the ground.
- Stand with your legs hip-distance apart and arms at your side.
- Step the right foot forward and bend the knee until your knee is directly over your ankle.
- Your left leg is straight behind you with the knee or shin resting on the ground. Place a towel under your back leg if necessary.
- Press your hands or fingers into the floor to the side of your right heel.
- Keep your upper body lifted.
- Breathe for 20 seconds, and then return to standing and repeat with other leg.