What You Need to Know About Assisted Living
What Should I Look For in an Assisted Living Community? continued...
Social and Recreational Activities
- Is there an activities program?
- Do residents participate in the neighboring community's activities?
- Do volunteers, including family members, come into the residence to conduct or help with programs?
- Does the facility require residents to undertake any chores or perform specific activities that benefit all residents?
- Are residents' pets allowed in the unit? Who is responsible for pet care?
- Does the residence have its own pets?
- Does the residence provide three nutritionally balanced meals a day, seven days a week?
- Are snacks available?
- May a resident request special foods or diets?
- Are common dining areas available?
- May residents eat meals in their units?
- May meals be provided at times the resident prefers or are there set meal times?
- Will they accommodate physician nutrition orders?
- Is there a written plan for the care of each resident?
- What is the procedure for assessing a potential resident's need for service? Are those needs reassessed periodically?
- Can a resident be discharged for refusing to comply with a care plan?
© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.