Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier
WebMD

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine
WebMD

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion
    WebMD

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community
    WebMD

    Community

    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

50+: Live Better, Longer

Font Size
A
A
A

Gene Activity May Vary in Identical Twins

Which Genes Are Active May Play a Role in Physical Differences in Twins

WebMD Health News

July 6, 2005 -- Identical twins may share the same DNA, but variations in which genes are active may lead to some important differences.

A new study shows that differences in physical appearance or disease risk found in identical twins may be caused by variations in which of the matching genes are activated.

The results appear in the current edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Identical twins are produced from a fertilized egg that has divided in two; they share identical genetics. Yet not all of these twins appear identical and disease risk may also differ.

Patt erns of Genetic Activity

In the study, researchers looked at the genetic profiles of 80 sets of identical twins in Spain, who ranged in age from 3 to 74 years old.

Researchers found that in 35% of the twin pairs, individual twins had significantly different patterns of active genes. The remaining 65% had identical patterns of genetic activity.

The results showed that while young twins were genetically indistinguishable, older twins displayed major differences in the content and distribution of their genetic information, which resulted in unique gene activation profiles.

The study also showed that the greatest differences were seen in twin pairs who had spent less of their lifetimes together or had different medical histories.

Researchers say the results support the theory that environmental factors, including smoking, diet, and physical activity may affect a person's gene activity and explain some of the differences in disease risk found among identical twins.

The study helps provide insight into the genetic causes of disease risk in identical twins but may be generalized to nontwins.

Today on WebMD

blueberries
Eating for a longer, healthier life.
woman biking
How to stay vital in your 50s and beyond.
 
womans finger tied with string
Learn how we remember, and why we forget.
man reviewing building plans
Do you know how to stay healthy as you age?
 
fast healthy snack ideas
Article
how healthy is your mouth
Tool
 
dog on couch
Tool
doctor holding syringe
Slideshow
 
champagne toast
Slideshow
Two women wearing white leotards back to back
Quiz
 
Man feeding woman
Slideshow
two senior women laughing
Article