Normal changes occur in your feet as you age.
- Feet tend to spread, possibly causing shoe size to change. Have your feet measured each time you buy shoes. Do not assume that your shoe size has not changed.
- The bottoms of the feet lose the fatty pads (especially the heel pad) that cushion the feet.
- Skin becomes thinner and less elastic and may get injured or infected more easily.
- Ligaments and tendons lose their ability to stretch normally (elasticity).
- Nails tend to get thick and brittle.