Heart disease is the number one killer
of both men and women in the United States. If you are worried about heart
disease, one of the most important things you can do is to start eating a
heart-healthy diet. Changing your diet can help stop or even reverse heart
At first, it may seem like there is a lot to learn. But
you don't have to make these changes all at once. Start with small steps. Over
time, making a number of small changes can add up to a big difference in your
To have a heart-healthy diet:
- Eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and
other high-fiber foods.
- Choose foods that are low in saturated
fat, trans fat, and cholesterol.
- Limit salt (sodium).
Stay at a healthy weight by balancing the calories you eat with your physical
- Eat more foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as
- Limit drinks and foods with
For more information on other heart-healthy diets and exercising for a healthy heart, see:
- Heart Disease: Exercising for a Healthy Heart.
- Walking for a Healthy Heart.
- Comparing Heart-Healthy Diets(What is a PDF document?).
- High Blood Pressure: Using the DASH Diet.
- High Cholesterol: Using the TLC Diet.
- Mediterranean Diet.