Heart Failure and a Low-Salt Diet
Sodium Content of Food continued...
Need help putting a menu together? Here’s one to get you started.
- Fresh fruit
- Low-sodium cereal (hot or cold)
- Lean roast turkey on whole wheat bread with low-sodium mustard
- Raw carrot sticks
- Vanilla wafers
- Grilled chicken
- Boiled potatoes
- Steamed fresh vegetables
- Tossed salad and low-sodium dressing
- Fresh melon
- Walnuts or almonds
- Use fresh ingredients or foods with no added salt.
- For favorite recipes, you may need to use other ingredients and delete or decrease the salt added. Salt can be removed from any recipe except from those containing yeast.
- Avoid convenience foods such as canned soups, entrées, and vegetables, pasta and rice mixes, frozen dinners, instant cereal, and puddings and gravy sauce mixes.
- Select frozen entrées that contain 600 milligrams or less of salt, but only eat one of these frozen foods per day. Check the Nutrition Facts label on the package for sodium content.
- Use fresh, frozen, no-added-salt canned vegetables, or canned vegetables that have been rinsed before they are prepared.
Low-sodium canned soups may be used.
- Avoid mixed seasonings and spice blends that include salt, such as garlic salt.
- Before using a salt substitute, check with your doctor.
Cutting down on salt doesn’t mean your food has to be bland. There are healthy blends you can make at home.
Directions: Combine all ingredients in small bowl and blend well. Spoon into shaker. Store in a cool, dark place.
- 2 Tbsp dried savory, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 1 Tbsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp powdered lemon rind or dehydrated lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp dried dill weed or basil leaves, crumbled
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- Pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander seed (crushed)
- 1 Tbsp rosemary