Heart Disease Medicine: How Can It Help You?
Angiotensin Receptor Neprilysin Inhibitors (ARNIs)
This is a new class of drug approved in 2015. Entresto (sacubitril/valsartan), a combination of a neprilysin inhibitor and ARB, has been found to reduce both the risk of death as well as hospitalization in general for those suffering from chronic heart failure. This medication helps in these ways:
- Allows your heart to pump blood more efficiently
- Helps your heart beat more steadily
- Makes heart beat more slowly
- Lowers blood pressure
- Relieves chest pain
- Reduces stress on the heart
Side effects for this drug includes:
- Low blood pressure
- High blood potassium levels
- Kidney impairment
Cholesterol-lowering drugs can:
Cholesterol-lowering drugs work in a variety of ways to improve heart health. Some change the way the liver processes cholesterol and fat. Others affect the way your body digests nutrients. Still others prevent cholesterol from flowing through your blood vessels.
Your doctor may prescribe one or a combination of cholesterol-lowering drugs. Examples include:
- Statins lower LDL (''bad'') cholesterol levels and keep cholesterol from forming in your blood vessels.
- Fibrates, such as gemfibrozil ( Lopid) raises HDL (''good'') cholesterol levels.
- Nicotinic acid (niacin) lowers triglycerides and LDL cholesterol and raises HDL cholesterol levels.
- Resins (bile acid-binding drugs) help intestines dispose of cholesterol.
- Cholesterol absorption inhibitor ezetimibe (Zetia) limits absorption of cholesterol in your digestive tract.
- Proprotein Convertase Subtilisin Kexin Type 9 (PCSK9) Inhibitors. Proprotein Convertase Subtilisin Kexin Type 9 (PCSK9) Inhibitors.This is a new class of cholesterol lowering drugs which is used in patients who cannot control their cholesterol through diet and statin treatments. The drugs block the liver protein PCSK9 which hinders the liver’s ability to remove LDL-cholesterol from the blood. In doing so, it can dramatically reduce the amount of bad cholesterol in the bloodstream.
A PCKS9 inhibitor is primarily for use in adult patients with the inherited disease heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia (HeFH) or for patients with atherosclerosis and are in danger or heart attack or stroke.