Taking High Blood Pressure Drugs Properly
Get Your Blood Pressure Checked Regularly
One of the best ways to see if your high blood pressure drugs are working is to check your blood pressure. Your doctor may want you to come into the office for checks. Or you may be asked to check your blood pressure at home.
Keep Your Doctor Informed
Your doctor doesn't know everything about your life and your activities. But the more your doctor knows about you, the better he or she can help. Make sure your doctor knows about these things:
- Other drugs you take, either prescription or over the counter
- Vitamins or other supplements you take
- Herbs you might use
- Alcohol and any recreational drugs you use, or have used
- Other health problems, especially conditions such as diabetes
Other factors in your life that could contribute to high blood pressure, such as difficult family issues, a high-stress job, or a sedentary lifestyle
The "Shoulds" of Properly Taking Your High Blood Pressure Drugs
Why is it so important to take your high blood pressure drugs properly? It's not just to make your doctor happy or to make your life more complicated. Taking high blood pressure medicine properly provides you the best results, lowering your blood pressure to a healthier level. You should take high blood pressure medicine properly because:
- That's how your doctor can tell whether the medicine is working to lower your blood pressure.
- Taking medicine at the wrong doses or times or stopping high blood pressure medicine suddenly can be downright dangerous to your health.
- If your blood pressure remains too high, you're more likely to develop other serious problems such as heart attacks, stroke, or kidney disease.
The good news is that taking high blood pressure medicine properly helps ensure better health for yourself now and in the future.