Esophageal pH Test for Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Can I Continue to Take Medication Before the Esophageal pH Test? continued...
There are other drugs that may affect the test results. Talk to your doctor about all medications you are taking before undergoing the procedure.
Do not discontinue any medication without first consulting with your primary or referring doctor. If proton pump inhibitors need to be discontinued, you will take a week off these drugs before doing the test.
Please note: Occasionally your doctor may ask you to continue a certain medication during the monitoring period to see if it is effective.
What Should I Do During the Esophageal pH Test?
Activity. Try to follow your usual routine during the esophageal pH test. Many people tend to reduce or change their activities during the monitoring period. However, such changes can affect reflux occurrence and make the results of the monitoring period less useful. Please note: Do not take a bath or shower during the monitoring period to avoid getting the equipment wet.
Eating. Eat your regular meals at the usual times and eat the way you normally do. If you do not eat during the monitoring period, your stomach will not produce acid as usual, and the test results will not be accurate. Eat foods that tend to increase your symptoms (without making yourself miserable, of course). You may drink as much plain water as you want.
Lying down. Remain upright throughout the day. Do not lie down until you go to bed, unless napping or lying down during the day is part of your normal daily routine.
Medications. Continue following your doctor's recommendations regarding which medications to avoid during the esophageal pH test.
What Information Should I Record During the Esophageal pH Test?
- Record your primary symptoms, as discussed with your doctor, by pressing the appropriate buttons on the monitor when the symptoms occur.
- Record the times when you are eating, drinking anything except water, or lying down (you do not have to be sleeping or intending to sleep when lying down). Record the following:
- The time when you start eating
- The time when you finish eating
- The time when you start lying down
- The time when you finish lying down