Understanding Heartburn -- Prevention
How Can I Prevent Heartburn?
Heartburn can often be prevented. Follow these tips to help prevent heartburn:
- Maintain a reasonable weight.
- Avoid any foods and beverages that worsen your symptoms.
- Wear clothes that are loose around the waist.
- Eat smaller meals and try not to overeat.
- Don't smoke.
- Avoid constipation.
- Get enough sleep and minimize stress.
- Wait three hours after eating before you lie down.
- Elevate the head of your bed six to eight inches.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.