Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your
doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to
answer the following questions:
- What is your main symptom? How long have you had
- How long do symptoms last when they
- What do you think is causing your symptoms?
you tried any home treatment? If so, what measures have you tried? Have they
- Have you been treated for this problem in the past? What
was the treatment? Did it help?
- Do you think your symptoms are
caused by what or how you eat?
- Do symptoms seem to begin after you have
certain foods or drinks? If so, which ones?
- Do you chew gum, eat
rapidly, drink carbonated beverages, or drink through a straw?
- Do you wear dentures? Do they fit
- Do you smoke or use other tobacco
- Do you drink alcohol? If so, how much?
- Do any
other symptoms occur along with burping, gas, or bloating, such as a change in
your bowel habits, heartburn, vomiting, or abdominal pain?
- Have you
had any recent illness or changes in your health?
- Have you lost or
gained more than a few pounds in the past month?
- Did you drink lake
or stream water or untreated well water?
- Have you recently visited
a foreign country or taken a ship cruise?
- Does anyone in your
inflammatory bowel disease, or
intolerance to lactose or other food
- Have you had a mental health problem, such as
depression or an
- Do you have any
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
July 12, 2011
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.