Digestive Diseases and Hepatitis B
Can I Get Hepatitis B From Blood Transfusions?
The chance of becoming infected with hepatitis B from receiving blood transfusions is unlikely because donated blood is tested for the virus. Any infected blood is discarded.
Who Should Be Vaccinated for Hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B vaccinations should be administered to:
- All newborn babies
- People who are exposed to infected blood or body fluids of friends or family members
- People who use needles to take recreational drugs
- All people who have sex with more than one person
- Health care providers who may come in contact with the virus
- People working in day care centers and institutions caring for children and prisoners
Is There a Cure for Hepatitis B?
Currently, there is no cure for hepatitis B. Luckily, the disease is limited in most acute cases and occasionally disappears in those with chronic disease.