Hepatitis D - Topic Overview
Infection with the hepatitis D virus (HDV), or delta agent,
occurs only in people who are already infected with the
hepatitis B virus (HBV).
- HDV infection may make HBV infection more
- In people who have long-term (chronic) HBV infection,
HDV infection can make liver disease worse. Or it can cause a
person who did not have symptoms before to develop liver problems more
- Some people who have hepatitis D also have severe
- Vaccination(What is a PDF document?)
against hepatitis B will also prevent hepatitis D virus infection.
- Hepatitis D virus infection is rare in the United
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
October 29, 2012
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.