Hepatitis D - Topic Overview
Infection with the hepatitis D virus (HDV), or delta agent, occurs only in people who are already infected with the hepatitis B virus (HBV).
- HDV infection may make HBV infection more severe.
- In people who have long-term (chronic) HBV infection, HDV infection can make liver disease worse. Or it can cause a person who did not have symptoms before to develop liver problems more rapidly.
- Some people who have hepatitis D also have severe hepatitis B.
- Vaccination(What is a PDF document?) against hepatitis B will also prevent hepatitis D virus infection.
- Hepatitis D virus infection is rare in the United States.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
November 14, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.