HIV and AIDS Dementia
AIDS Dementia Exams and Tests continued...
For electroencephalography (EEG), a series of electrodes are attached to the scalp. The electrical activity of the brain is read and recorded. In the later stages of ADC, the electrical activity (which appears as waves) is slower than normal. EEG also is used to see whether a person is having seizures.
Neuropsychological testing is the most accurate method of pinpointing and documenting your cognitive abilities.
- This can help give a more accurate picture of the problems and thus can help in treatment planning. It might be repeated later to monitor changes in symptoms.
- The testing involves answering questions and performing tasks that have been carefully prepared for this purpose. The test is given by a neurologist, psychologist, or other specially trained professional.
- It addresses your appearance, mood, anxiety level, and experience of delusions or hallucinations.
- It assesses cognitive abilities such as memory, attention, orientation to time and place, use of language, and abilities to carry out various tasks and follow instructions.
- Reasoning, abstract thinking, and problem solving also are tested.
Treatment of AIDS Dementia
Just as there is no cure for AIDS, there is no cure for AIDS dementia complex. However, ADC can be controlled in some people by appropriate treatment.
Home Care for AIDS Dementia
If you have AIDS dementia complex you should remain physically, mentally, and socially active as long as you are able.
Stay active. Daily physical exercise helps maximize body and mental functions and maintains a healthy weight. This can be as simple as a daily walk.
Engage in as much mental activity as you can handle. Keeping your mind working may help keep cognitive problems to a minimum. Puzzles, games, reading, and safe hobbies and crafts are good choices.
Don't stop seeing your friends and relatives. Your social life is not only enjoyable but keeps your mind active and your emotions in balance.
A balanced and nutritious diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables helps maintain a healthy weight and prevent malnutrition and constipation. You should not smoke, both for health and safety reasons.