Font Size


An overdose happens when a person takes more than the normal or recommended amount of something, usually a drug. An overdose can result in harmful symptoms or death.

Taking too much of something on purpose is called an intentional or deliberate overdose. If the overdose happens by mistake, it is called an accidental overdose.

ByHealthwise Staff
Primary Medical ReviewerAdam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical ReviewerPeter Monti, PhD - Alcohol and Addiction

Current as ofMarch 12, 2014

WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise

Last Updated: March 12, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.