Limited-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer Treatment
Treatment options for older patients
The optimal therapeutic approach in older patients remains unclear. A population analysis showed that increasing age was associated with a decreased performance status and increased comorbidity. Older patients were less likely to be treated with combined chemoradiation therapy, more intensive chemotherapy, and PCI. Older patients were also less likely to respond to therapy and had poorer survival outcomes. Whether this was a result of age and its associated comorbidities or suboptimal treatment delivery remains uncertain.
No specific phase III trial in older patients with LD SCLC has been reported; however, three secondary analyses of two cooperative group trials have been published evaluating outcomes in patients aged 70 years or older.[36,37,38] The survival outcomes for the older patients were identical to their younger counterparts in both trials. The older patients experienced more toxic effects, particularly hematologic, compared with younger patients. There was a significant increase in treatment-related mortality in the EST-3588 trial comparing etoposide and cisplatin with either once-daily or twice-daily radiation therapy (1% for patients aged <70 years vs. 10% for patients aged ?70 years; P = .01). Because the older patients enrolled in these phase III trials may not be representative of LD SCLC patients in the general population, caution must be exercised in extrapolating these results to the general population of older patients.
Treatment Options Under Clinical Evaluation
Treatment options under clinical evaluation for patients with LD SCLC include the following:
- New drug regimens.
- Surgical resection of the primary tumor.
- New radiation therapy schedules and techniques (e.g., timing, three-dimensional treatment planning, and dose fractionation).
Current Clinical Trials
Check for U.S. clinical trials from NCI's list of cancer clinical trials that are now accepting patients with limited stage small cell lung cancer. The list of clinical trials can be further narrowed by location, drug, intervention, and other criteria.
General information about clinical trials is also available from the NCI Web site.
- Pignon JP, Arriagada R, Ihde DC, et al.: A meta-analysis of thoracic radiotherapy for small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 327 (23): 1618-24, 1992.
- Warde P, Payne D: Does thoracic irradiation improve survival and local control in limited-stage small-cell carcinoma of the lung? A meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol 10 (6): 890-5, 1992.
- Murray N, Coy P, Pater JL, et al.: Importance of timing for thoracic irradiation in the combined modality treatment of limited-stage small-cell lung cancer. The National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group. J Clin Oncol 11 (2): 336-44, 1993.
- Turrisi AT 3rd, Glover DJ: Thoracic radiotherapy variables: influence on local control in small cell lung cancer limited disease. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 19 (6): 1473-9, 1990.
- McCracken JD, Janaki LM, Crowley JJ, et al.: Concurrent chemotherapy/radiotherapy for limited small-cell lung carcinoma: a Southwest Oncology Group Study. J Clin Oncol 8 (5): 892-8, 1990.
- Takada M, Fukuoka M, Kawahara M, et al.: Phase III study of concurrent versus sequential thoracic radiotherapy in combination with cisplatin and etoposide for limited-stage small-cell lung cancer: results of the Japan Clinical Oncology Group Study 9104. J Clin Oncol 20 (14): 3054-60, 2002.
- Johnson BE, Bridges JD, Sobczeck M, et al.: Patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer treated with concurrent twice-daily chest radiotherapy and etoposide/cisplatin followed by cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and vincristine. J Clin Oncol 14 (3): 806-13, 1996.
- Spiro SG, James LE, Rudd RM, et al.: Early compared with late radiotherapy in combined modality treatment for limited disease small-cell lung cancer: a London Lung Cancer Group multicenter randomized clinical trial and meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol 24 (24): 3823-30, 2006.
- De Ruysscher D, Pijls-Johannesma M, Vansteenkiste J, et al.: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised, controlled trials of the timing of chest radiotherapy in patients with limited-stage, small-cell lung cancer. Ann Oncol 17 (4): 543-52, 2006.
- Giaccone G, Dalesio O, McVie GJ, et al.: Maintenance chemotherapy in small-cell lung cancer: long-term results of a randomized trial. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lung Cancer Cooperative Group. J Clin Oncol 11 (7): 1230-40, 1993.
- Goodman GE, Crowley JJ, Blasko JC, et al.: Treatment of limited small-cell lung cancer with etoposide and cisplatin alternating with vincristine, doxorubicin, and cyclophosphamide versus concurrent etoposide, vincristine, doxorubicin, and cyclophosphamide and chest radiotherapy: a Southwest Oncology Group Study. J Clin Oncol 8 (1): 39-47, 1990.
- Fukuoka M, Furuse K, Saijo N, et al.: Randomized trial of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and vincristine versus cisplatin and etoposide versus alternation of these regimens in small-cell lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 83 (12): 855-61, 1991.
- Bleehen NM, Girling DJ, Machin D, et al.: A randomised trial of three or six courses of etoposide cyclophosphamide methotrexate and vincristine or six courses of etoposide and ifosfamide in small cell lung cancer (SCLC). I: Survival and prognostic factors. Medical Research Council Lung Cancer Working Party. Br J Cancer 68 (6): 1150-6, 1993.
- Sculier JP, Paesmans M, Bureau G, et al.: Randomized trial comparing induction chemotherapy versus induction chemotherapy followed by maintenance chemotherapy in small-cell lung cancer. European Lung Cancer Working Party. J Clin Oncol 14 (8): 2337-44, 1996.
- Fried DB, Morris DE, Poole C, et al.: Systematic review evaluating the timing of thoracic radiation therapy in combined modality therapy for limited-stage small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 22 (23): 4837-45, 2004.
- Turrisi AT 3rd, Kim K, Blum R, et al.: Twice-daily compared with once-daily thoracic radiotherapy in limited small-cell lung cancer treated concurrently with cisplatin and etoposide. N Engl J Med 340 (4): 265-71, 1999.
- Huncharek M, McGarry R: A meta-analysis of the timing of chest irradiation in the combined modality treatment of limited-stage small cell lung cancer. Oncologist 9 (6): 665-72, 2004.
- Pijls-Johannesma MC, De Ruysscher D, Lambin P, et al.: Early versus late chest radiotherapy for limited stage small cell lung cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (1): CD004700, 2005.
- De Ruysscher D, Pijls-Johannesma M, Bentzen SM, et al.: Time between the first day of chemotherapy and the last day of chest radiation is the most important predictor of survival in limited-disease small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 24 (7): 1057-63, 2006.
- Bogart JA, Herndon JE 2nd, Lyss AP, et al.: 70 Gy thoracic radiotherapy is feasible concurrent with chemotherapy for limited-stage small-cell lung cancer: analysis of Cancer and Leukemia Group B study 39808. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59 (2): 460-8, 2004.
- Urban T, Lebeau B, Chastang C, et al.: Superior vena cava syndrome in small-cell lung cancer. Arch Intern Med 153 (3): 384-7, 1993.
- W�rschmidt F, B�nemann H, Heilmann HP: Small cell lung cancer with and without superior vena cava syndrome: a multivariate analysis of prognostic factors in 408 cases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 33 (1): 77-82, 1995.
- Osterlind K, Hansen M, Hansen HH, et al.: Treatment policy of surgery in small cell carcinoma of the lung: retrospective analysis of a series of 874 consecutive patients. Thorax 40 (4): 272-7, 1985.
- Shepherd FA, Ginsberg RJ, Patterson GA, et al.: A prospective study of adjuvant surgical resection after chemotherapy for limited small cell lung cancer. A University of Toronto Lung Oncology Group study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 97 (2): 177-86, 1989.
- Prasad US, Naylor AR, Walker WS, et al.: Long term survival after pulmonary resection for small cell carcinoma of the lung. Thorax 44 (10): 784-7, 1989.
- Smit EF, Groen HJ, Timens W, et al.: Surgical resection for small cell carcinoma of the lung: a retrospective study. Thorax 49 (1): 20-2, 1994.
- Chandra V, Allen MS, Nichols FC 3rd, et al.: The role of pulmonary resection in small cell lung cancer. Mayo Clin Proc 81 (5): 619-24, 2006.
- Lad T, Piantadosi S, Thomas P, et al.: A prospective randomized trial to determine the benefit of surgical resection of residual disease following response of small cell lung cancer to combination chemotherapy. Chest 106 (6 Suppl): 320S-323S, 1994.
- Nugent JL, Bunn PA Jr, Matthews MJ, et al.: CNS metastases in small cell bronchogenic carcinoma: increasing frequency and changing pattern with lengthening survival. Cancer 44 (5): 1885-93, 1979.
- Aup�rin A, Arriagada R, Pignon JP, et al.: Prophylactic cranial irradiation for patients with small-cell lung cancer in complete remission. Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation Overview Collaborative Group. N Engl J Med 341 (7): 476-84, 1999.
- Le P�choux C, Dunant A, Senan S, et al.: Standard-dose versus higher-dose prophylactic cranial irradiation (PCI) in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer in complete remission after chemotherapy and thoracic radiotherapy (PCI 99-01, EORTC 22003-08004, RTOG 0212, and IFCT 99-01): a randomised clinical trial. Lancet Oncol 10 (5): 467-74, 2009.
- Johnson BE, Patronas N, Hayes W, et al.: Neurologic, computed cranial tomographic, and magnetic resonance imaging abnormalities in patients with small-cell lung cancer: further follow-up of 6- to 13-year survivors. J Clin Oncol 8 (1): 48-56, 1990.
- Laukkanen E, Klonoff H, Allan B, et al.: The role of prophylactic brain irradiation in limited stage small cell lung cancer: clinical, neuropsychologic, and CT sequelae. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 14 (6): 1109-17, 1988.
- Cull A, Gregor A, Hopwood P, et al.: Neurological and cognitive impairment in long-term survivors of small cell lung cancer. Eur J Cancer 30A (8): 1067-74, 1994.
- Ludbrook JJ, Truong PT, MacNeil MV, et al.: Do age and comorbidity impact treatment allocation and outcomes in limited stage small-cell lung cancer? a community-based population analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 55 (5): 1321-30, 2003.
- Schild SE, Stella PJ, Geyer SM, et al.: The outcome of combined-modality therapy for stage III non-small-cell lung cancer in the elderly. J Clin Oncol 21 (17): 3201-6, 2003.
- Yuen AR, Zou G, Turrisi AT, et al.: Similar outcome of elderly patients in intergroup trial 0096: Cisplatin, etoposide, and thoracic radiotherapy administered once or twice daily in limited stage small cell lung carcinoma. Cancer 89 (9): 1953-60, 2000.
- Siu LL, Shepherd FA, Murray N, et al.: Influence of age on the treatment of limited-stage small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 14 (3): 821-8, 1996.