Selected Vegetables/Sun's Soup is administered orally as part of the diet.[1,3,5] Studies in humans have not always specified a dose or an administration schedule , but daily doses of 30 g SV/DSV, mixed with water or other soup, or of 10 oz (approximately 283 g) FSV were used in the above-mentioned clinical studies in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer.[3,5]
To conduct clinical drug research in the United States, researchers must file an Investigational New Drug (IND) application with the FDA. An IND must also be obtained for clinical evaluation of dietary supplements as agents for the treatment or prevention of disease. Because the IND application process is confidential and because the existence of an IND can be disclosed only by the applicants, it is not known whether an IND currently exists for the study of Selected Vegetables/Sun's Soup as a treatment for cancer or any other disease.
In this summary, the specific formulation of Selected Vegetables/Sun's Soup given to individual patients or groups of patients will be identified wherever possible.
- Sun AS: Herbal Treatment of Malignancy. US Patent 5437866. August 1, 1995. Washington, DC: US Patent and Trademark Office, 1995. Available online. Last accessed August 25, 2011.
- Sun A: Food therapy for non-small cell lung cancer. In: Comprehensive Cancer Care: Integrating Complementary and Alternative Therapies - A Conference for Health professionals, June 12-14, 1998. Breakout Session 405: Herbal Therapies. Available online. Last accessed August 25, 2011.
- Sun AS, Ostadal O, Ryznar V, et al.: Phase I/II study of stage III and IV non-small cell lung cancer patients taking a specific dietary supplement. Nutr Cancer 34 (1): 62-9, 1999.
- Sun Farm Vegetable Soup (SV). Milford, Conn: Sun Farm Corporation, 2000. Available online. Last accessed August 25, 2011.
- Sun AS, Yeh HC, Wang LH, et al.: Pilot study of a specific dietary supplement in tumor-bearing mice and in stage IIIB and IV non-small cell lung cancer patients. Nutr Cancer 39 (1): 85-95, 2001.