10 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Melanoma
Since you’ve recently been diagnosed with melanoma, ask your doctor these questions at your next visit.
- How far has my melanoma spread? How did you determine that?
- Can you remove all of the cancer through surgery alone?
- If I need any treatments besides surgery, what do you recommend, and why?
- How successful have these treatments been in cases like mine?
- What side effects can I expect from my treatments? What steps can I take to manage them?
- How long will I need these treatments?
- Will my surgery leave a noticeable scar? Is there a way to minimize scarring?
- Am I at high risk for a return of melanoma? What should I do to prevent a recurrence?
- Am I at higher risk for other types of cancer?
- How often should I see you for follow-up? Are there any symptoms I should look for in between visits?
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.