Smokeless Tobacco : Quitting
Feb. 21, 2000 (San Francisco) -- Quitting smokeless tobacco is as difficult
as quitting cigarettes, and the approaches are similar. Experts recommend the
- Think of reasons why you want to quit.
- Pick a firm quitting date within two or three weeks from now and start
reducing your use.
- Tell friends, family, teachers, and coaches you are going to quit and ask
for their support.
- Ask your doctor about using a nicotine patch or gum.
- Find alternatives, such as sugarless gum or sunflower seeds.
- Stay active and avoid situations where you will be tempted to use
- Reward yourself every few days you don't use by buying yourself a