Skip to content

    Substance Abuse and Addiction Health Center

    Font Size

    Substance Abuse and Addiction - Exams and Tests

    Alcohol use problems may be diagnosed during a routine doctor visit or when you see your doctor for another problem. Many people don't go to a doctor for alcohol problems but for problems that are caused by long-term alcohol use.

    Your doctor will ask about your medical history and do a physical exam. He or she also may ask questions or do tests to look for health problems linked to alcohol problems, such as cirrhosis.

    To learn which type of questions your doctor may ask, use this short quiz:

    Interactive Tool: Do You Have a Drinking Problem?

    People who drink also may have mental health problems. These may include depression, anxiety disorders, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). If you have a drinking problem and a mental health problem, it's called a dual diagnosis. A dual diagnosis can make treatment for an alcohol problem harder.

    If your doctor thinks you have a mental health problem, he or she may do a mental health assessment.

    WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise

    Last Updated: March 26, 2014
    This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
    Next Article:

    Today on WebMD

    child ignored by parents
    prescription pain pills
    Woman experiencing withdrawal symptoms
    Teen girl huddled outside house
    Man with glass of scotch
    overturned shot glass
    assortment of medication
    Depressed and hurting