Binge Drinking: A Rite of Passage That's All Wrong
WebMD News Archive
To help educate teens, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism distributes the following information to college campuses nationwide:
- Alcohol lowers inhibitions, but also reduces sexual performance.
- Drinking impairs judgement, increasing the likelihood of unprotected sex.
- It takes three hours to eliminate two alcoholic drinks, even with coffee or a cold shower.
- Twelve ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1 ounce of liquor have the same amount of alcohol.
- Women process alcohol differently, so they shouldn't try to keep pace with men.
- One-half of all fatal car crashes among 18- to 24-year-olds involve alcohol.
- One-third of all seriously injured 18- to 24-year-olds are intoxicated.
- Postponing drinking lowers your lifetime chance of alcohol-related problems.