Alcohol and Drug Problems - Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your
doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to
answer the following questions:
- How often do you drink or use drugs? What drugs
do you use?
- Do you use alcohol and other drugs, both prescription
and nonprescription, at the same time?
- Do you sometimes drink or
use more than you mean to?
- What types of alcohol or drugs do you
use? How much do you use each day?
- Do you drink or use drugs when
you feel "stressed"?
- Do you drink or use drugs when you are
- Can you drink or use more of a certain drug now than you
used to be able to?
- Have you tried to cut back on your drinking or
drug use, but were unable to?
- Have you had a drink or used drugs
- How old were you when you first used alcohol or
- When did you use the highest dosage of alcohol or drugs in
- Have you ever had a blackout while drinking or using
- Is alcohol or drug use causing problems with your work, your
school, or in your family?
- Have you ever been treated for a seizure
or an irregular heartbeat?
- How often have you changed jobs in the
past 5 years?
- Does anyone else in your immediate family have an
alcohol or drug abuse problem?
- Have your family or friends ever
told you they thought you had a problem with alcohol or drugs?
you ever been treated for a similar problem in the past?
- Have you
or anyone else in your family ever been treated for
- Have you ever thought about or
tried to commit suicide?
- Have you ever tried to harm yourself or
thought of suicide while drinking or using drugs?
- Have you ever
abused a child or
intimate partner while using alcohol or
- Have you ever been hospitalized for a drug or alcohol
problem? If so, be prepared to discuss the details with your doctor.
- What prescription and nonprescription medicines do
you take? Bring a complete list with you to your appointment.
you have any
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
December 23, 2011
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Alcohol and Drug Problems Topics