Saying No to Alcohol and Drugs - Topic Overview
Alcohol is part of many
traditions and is often served at parties and other functions. And although
many drugs are illegal or legal only with a prescription, people may offer them
If you're in a situation where someone is offering you alcohol or
drugs, try this:
- Look the person in the eye.
- In a firm voice, tell the
person you don't want to drink or use drugs. Say something like:
- "No, I'm sorry, but I don't
- "No, I'm really trying to stay clean."
I'm trying to cut back."
- Give a reason why you don't want to drink or use
drugs. Say something like:
- "It's bad for my health."
could lose my housing."
- "I have trouble when I use...."
- Ask the person not to ask you to drink or use
drugs again. Say something like:
- "Hey, I said I'm trying to stay clean, so
don't ask me again."
- "I told you I don't use anymore, so stop
- "I'm trying really hard to stay clean, so please don't
ask me to use anymore."
- If you notice that someone does have drugs, leave
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
January 05, 2012
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Saying No to Alcohol and Drugs Topics